Previous Posts

Friday, April 1, 2016

Welcome to the New Santa Fe Trailer!


It’s hard to put into words the objective behind all of this, but I had my reasons…
It all started when I was a little girl. To be clear, I’m a 36 year old single teacher now, but my “little girl status” seems like only a few years ago. But, alas, it has been 30 (gasp!) years, and every year has taught me something new. My genealogical journey truly started when I was about seven years old.
Let me take you back to 1987.
Matt Euston (neighbor and cousin) and I playing in my backyard, 1983
While many were “Livin’ on a Prayer”  and others were “Walking like an Egyptian,”  I was walking up the street to a desolate stretch of land stamped in history. As we built around this land, a time capsule lived on in a small cemetery on Santa Fe Trail in Jackson County, Missouri. My amazing parents, Helen and Larry, built their simple ranch home in a subdivision dubbed “New Santa Fe” in 1974. This little subdivision is nestled in what was then considered south Kansas City.  Just next door, Verona Hills was being slowly developed by J.C. Nichols,  farm roads still crossed the landscape, State Line Road was a two-lane highway with no lights, and the Leawood Drive Inn was the biggest landmark within miles.
This was my home. And my parents made it work.
I heard a lot of amusing stories growing up about how there was a famous trail that crossed within the very foundations of this suburban development. I consider myself so blessed. The area I lived in matured as houses coated the rolling hills – the land to the south of my little house grew into a subdivision called Timber Trace, and I felt as if I traced those woods before any other. I was my own pioneer. My imagination soared; directly across the street from my house was a little field, unoccupied and mowed by Mr. Ron Hodgden. He wished to keep the neighborhood clean and the land was not developed, nor is it to this day. Just to the south of the land was a white barn. And just past that was a home that fascinated me to the core- the Watson Farm- a house built pre-Civil War that originally functioned as a tavern along the Trail. I never thought much about the land in the valley, but I knew it was special.
I grew up with history oozing around me. And, boy, how I am grateful. I used to shimmy through an old fence to trespass on land known as the Watson Farm isolated from everything else. I knew it was old, but how old was a mystery to me. I loved standing in front of the Watson Farm- that old, white brick house that was regal even over a century later.
Growing up on a street nestled next to “Santa Fe Trail” gave me a clue from history class and from stories surrounding me that I was someplace unique- even preserved, in a way.
New Santa Fe Cemetery
When I was seven, I would saunter up the hill to an old burial ground, an area that felt as if it were a time capsule amidst development. This is where my true fascination began, or so I tell people now. Even as a young child, I was drawn to these people marked in stone. I felt connected to them in a way I cannot aptly put into words, nor would I want to. I would enter the New Santa Fe Cemetery as a guest and feel like family. I can remember asking my mother to buy the materials to do grave rubbings. I wanted to connect  with these strangers – these people that lived before me. The Red Bridge Library was my next stop. I danced around the shelves, looking for information about the people that I connected with in that cemetery. I wanted to know everything.
This was my first real attempt at genealogy work, and I was less than a decade old.
Go, Diane!
As the years went by, I stumbled through life doing some amazingly fun things with the neighborhood crew: my brother, Jeff, my cousins, Jason and Matt (who lived in one of the historic lots just up the street), Ralph (aka Angelo) Trozzolo and his sisters, Jill and Sarah, Molly O’Dower, Ray Clark, the McInerney’s, the Syrett's… and a host of other kids. I can vividly remember carving out a trail (ironic) in the woods behind Santa Fe Trail  and in the woods behind  Jason and Matt Euston’s backyard. The objective: find an outlet to the gas station on State Line. In 1987,it was called “Pip’s,” and Pip’s had everything! We would shovel our way through the woods in any season to get some candy and explore. This gas station has been rebuilt and is now called Fleming.
My two best friends, Karen and Mary, moved from California about this time and would come over to our house to do some exploring of our own. This led to “The Mystery Club,” where we would oftentimes trespass on the old Watson Farm’s territory and create new adventures to solve. Did I mention we found a treasure map? And, there was quicksand near the creek?
The first edition of The Santa Fe Trailer, 1984
Nostalgia provided by Angelo Trozzolo
Some of the entrepreneurs of the subdivision New Santa Fe, such as Angelo Trozzolo, used an early Apple computer to publish a neighborhood paper called The Santa Fe Trailer. This is where the name of this blog originated from- the old newspaper. We took an old red wagon and filled it with copies, knocking on doors to distribute the newspaper to the willing recipients. At this time, there was even a “rival” newspaper called 122nd Terrace Express published by the older and wiser Mike Micco.
My childhood in 1987 was awesome.
Who was Dabney Lipscomb? What about his son, Nathan? What do you mean people stopped in this town that no longer existed to gather supplies to explore the west?
I contribute the love of history and genealogy to these experiences, as insignificant and naive as they may seem. In 2000, my grandmother passed away, and everything became very real. I had to know more about my own family. As most amateurs do, I started with my last name – Euston. Within a few years, I had gathered information on their history and had expanded, per my mother’s request, to her side. A visit to distant relatives in Belgium rekindled my true passion for all things historical.
In 2004, I became a certified professional genealogist. It took me ten more years to revisit my first love: New Santa Fe.
A chance meeting at a local store had my mother explaining to the President of the Historical Society of New Santa Fe that I was “really good” at gathering information. An opportunity to help secure a grant through the Daughters of the American Revolution had the Historical Society sold. Within a few weeks, I was 100% devoted to erecting a plaque to honor the members of the church that stood in New Santa Fe (to read more about this incrdible topic , click here). The church was torn down in 1971. 
As I gathered my research, I found the historical records weren’t enough to truly demonstrate the affect this church’s demise had on the pioneer families that continued, even decades after the town had lost its true steam as a town of importance. I spent months combing over records, taking hundreds of pages of notes and organizing information. With the stories running dry and the information weak, I began to contact members of the families who attended the church in this historic, lost town. I learned of sacrifices, devotion and family. I heard of pioneers living on the frontier of injustice in midst chaos of the Civil War. I heard of legends and love lost. Within this time, I, too, fell in love with these people all over again – just as I had when I first met some of them in the cemetery at seven years old.
The development of Verona Hills taken from the cemetery, c. 1971. Photo courtesy
of Doug Harding
I feel today as I am still that tan-skinned, bleach blonde little girl swerving around the graves of the cemetery. I felt as if my research for the plaque wasn’t enough; I needed to tell the story of these people on a deeper level. I had already done a lot of the tough “digging” in records, and I wanted to share with the world what I have found out.  Why not continue the legacy of Washington Township, Oxford Township, New Santa Fe and the area through technology?
This site is dedicated to these pioneers, their stories and the lost memory of people, that even for a few months, stopped in New Santa Fe on their way to their destiny. We can learn so much for their survival and dedication. It is my goal to post regularly to share in the triumphs and failures of these amazing people. I hope only to give their stories credibility, life and circulate information for the generations to come.
I want everyone to feel as if they are that little girl in that cemetery.
-Diane

10 comments:

  1. Looking good! Thank you for your efforts to help retain the memories of our ancestors and what they went through to build and tame the land for future generations. I'm proud of my family's efforts and the legacy they have left for me. It is hard to imagine the hardships suffered trying to have a family and build a home on the state line during the Civil War, but they managed to.
    I'm looking forward to learning more about the New Santa Fe and Oxford areas as well as stories of the people who settled there (which many are related to me).
    Carol McKinney Woodcox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! You've been so helpful. One of the greatest joys I have gotten from this is meeting people, especially your family!

      Delete
  2. Hi! Diane! I finally found your website and you captured the feeling I had as a little girl attending the Christian church during VBS. I have a memory of being outside playing during their "recess" time and looking up at a tall tree not far from the tall white church building. My mother later purchased a metal slide from one of their rummage sales for us kids to accompany the swing set in our backyard. It was well-used, not only by us, but many of the neighborhood children who came to play on top of Wade's Hill. I always seemed to know that New Santa Fe was a special place, but I didn't know just how special and significant it was to our family until I began researching my 3rd great-grandparents who came to the Kansas Territory from Illinois in 1855 through Westport Landing. It wasn't until this year that we discovered my husband's 2nd great-uncle, John Holder, is buried in the New Santa Fe cemetery. That was an exciting find because they didn't know where he and his wife had gone after they left Cole County, MO. I shall be back to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that the blog is now visible for you! John Holder is a post I would love to cover soon. I love that sometimes history tends to reconnect those that aren't even feeling "connected." It's great to have a place to come - like this blog- to share some of these memories! Thank you for sharing, and I hope to make your family proud!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful !
    Just read your Paseo/MLK piece.
    Horrific that The Paseo was renamed and I WISH I still lived in KCMO to sign up!
    I stumbled onto this piece as I am shooting photos (Tomorrow, 5/11, actually) for a project called "Where The Streets Have New Names" and I was looking for 'old views' to possibly replicate along the way. This project will be 2 groups of photographers. One group starting at 85th, where The Paseo ends, and a second group, starting at Cliff Drive where it begins.
    The idea is to document the street life, look, 'a moment in time' etc of THE Boulevard that started it all.
    The 2 groups plan to meet in the middle at Gates BBQ for lunch.
    Over 200 images will then be on display from the project, at The Fringe Festival in the Grand Hall at Union Station.
    I am excited to be a part.
    Now then- Point #2!
    I shot for 3trailscorridor.com and we documented important sights along the KC portions of the Santa Fe trail from Wayne City Landing to Gardner Jct. Worked with Lou Austin, if you know the name.
    So- your New Santa Fe caught my eye as I have shot that a few times.
    Thanks for some great writing on the Paseo as well as your Santa Fe story-
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful write!
    The Paseo piece is what caught my eye as I am shooting photos for a project (tomorrow actually- 5/11) called Where The Streets Have New Names & is tied in with the Fringe Fest later this Summer.
    We are 2 groups of photogs- One starting at the north end at Cliff Dr and a group starting at 85th and we are documenting a day in the life of THE boulevard that started it all.
    The plan is to meet at Gates near 47th, for lunch. Yum!

    Over 200 images from the 2 groups will then be displayed at Union Sta. at the Fringe Festival this summer.
    So- I found your Paseo piece looking for old views from the Paseo to try & possibly replicate a few.
    THEN- I saw your New Santa Fe piece and I read on..
    I shot photos for 3-Trails Corridor & their website so I know New Santa Fe well. Worked with Lou Austin who knows a wealth of Trail info. Fascinating guy.
    Anyway- I had to jump in and say hello. I am hoping for good weather for our shoot. If it rains out we try again the 18th.
    Cheers & wagon swales..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice article; I wrote my dad's story in "Ruskin Tornado Tales" in 2008 and re-told the story to Mrs. Brewer for her "Caught Ever After." Similar weather setting up today, 2 years later, a bit farther south and west of 1957 system and not as strong -yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luckily I have stumbled on your site. How wonderful it is!! At seventy-five years, after teaching thirty-five years and helping my beloved mother and husband to their eternal rest, I have completed a historical novel. It tells the sad story of my great grandfather, a Potato Famine immigrant who landed as an orphan in West Bottoms to work with outfitters for the trails. He became a team driver, married and moved into Cass County with his brother to farm. After he and his wife were burned out by Lane's men, he joined the Home Guard, then the Missouri State Militia Cavalry. She returned to Anderson County, MO to stay with her newly-settled Emerald community of Irish immigrants of Down Co., Ireland. His life ended in Cass Co. with a tragedy that left his children orphaned. One was my grandmother. The calamity was so horrible that it became a family secret and a mystery. From 1972 a handful of cousins began to explore who these people were and what happened in their lives. We knew that our grandparents suffered as children, but we didn't know how. Before computers, four or five (several not yet aware of the existence of the others) traveled to Kansas City, Pleasant Hill, Harrisonville and other places in search of facts. Until I spent the last decade of my life learning the history of every aspect of their lives and gaining accessibility to as many records as possible, the story would have remained buried, as things get lost in time without we curious family historians.

    I, too, feel lucky that our parents imbued compassion for our grandparents who survived the Civil War, the border violence, the infestations and catastrophes brought by natural forces. I had a mother who lived history and genealogy, and many of us liked to carry pens and notebook and thumb through stacks of papers on our desks (many of us being teachers or writers). One great source among the hundreds was Tom Rafiner's book Caught Between Three Fires, that taught me a ton about the details that seriously affected those who were, indeed, caught! I wanted him to read my book that is coming out soon: Mary Quigley's Da, but I have not been able to establish contact before it is released. I will continue to read your wonderful site, but have a question: What do you know about the descendants of Lincolnville, in Sedalia? I think it's possible that my children have a paternal 2nd great grandfather who was a resident of the shanty town when the secesh rushed in to slaughter the freed slaves who were helping the Union there. The soldiers had left to fight in Independence (or was it Lexington?) and left them unprotected.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tyhis is all interestinmg! But after reading it all, I still don't know where it is. Where is the town and cemetery>

    And a little grammar nit-pick....You "attribute" not "contribute" your love of history and genealogy to these experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started listening to the podcasts on 610 Sports -- fascinating stuff! I added your link to my own blog. I grew up in the KC area, and the history that was taught to me was kinda bland. But listening and reading really fills in the color. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete